- Collection The word, collection, refers to the act of gathering, acquiring, or obtaining personal information from any source, including third parties, by any means.
- Consent The word, consent, refers to voluntary agreement with what is being done or proposed. Consent can be either express, or implied. Express consent is given explicitly, either orally, or in writing. Express consent is unequivocal and does not require any inference on the part of the organization seeking consent. Implied consent arises where consent may reasonably be inferred from the action, or inaction, of the individual.
- Disclosure The word, disclosure, refers to making personal information available to others outside the organization.
- Organization The word, organization, refers to WagerWeb and associations, businesses, charitable organizations, clubs, government bodies, institutions, professional practices, and unions.Personal Information The term, personal information, refers to any record, in any form that identifies an individual client, affiliate or employee. This definition does not include aggregated information, which cannot be associated with a specific person.
- Use The word, use, refers to the treatment and handling of personal information by, and within, Wagerweb.
- Wagerweb recognizes that it is part of an extensive, highly active, and rapidly expanding, Internet community, within which masses of information and data are created, collected, acquired, processed, and exchanged with incredible speed.
- Wagerweb also recognizes that the advanced technology, that makes these actions possible, has to be viewed from two critical perspectives. On the one hand, the technology provides a number of benefits which improve the quality of our lives. At the same time, it gives rise to concerns about the protection of the individual?s rights, and his/her right to control the use and exchange of personal information.
- Wagerweb is sensitive to these points of view, and the need to be responsible and accountable to our clients, affiliates and employees for any, and all, expressions of trust entered into by them. We know we have to balance our need for certain personal information with the rights of our clients, affiliates and employees, and their desire for a certain measure of privacy i.e., anonymity.
- We also believe we have a responsibility to materially demonstrate our commitment to the protection of private information in concrete and transparent terms.
As a direct result of our commitment and our rationale, Wager Web has made a corporate commitment to the following principles relating to the protection of personal information. The principles are covered, first of all, in a brief version, in the following order:
- Identifying Purposes for Collection
- Consent Collection Limit
- Security Measures
- Individual Access
- Accountability Wagerweb is responsible for the personal information under its control, and shall designate an employee(s), who shall be accountable for corporate compliance with all of the principles relating to personal information.
- Identifying Purposes for Collection Wagerweb shall identify the purposes for which personal information is collected at, or before, the time the information is collected.
- Consent Wagerweb shall obtain the consent of the client, affiliate or employee for the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information, except where inappropriate.
- Collection Limit Wagerweb shall limit the collection of personal information to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by the corporation. Information shall be collected only by fair and lawful means.
- Use-Disclosure-Retention Limits Wagerweb shall not use personal information, or disclose it for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the client, affiliate or employee concerned or as required by law. In addition, Wagerweb shall retain personal information only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those legitimate purposes.
- Accuracy Wagerweb personal information relating to clients, affiliate and employees shall be as accurate, complete, and current as is necessary for its? lawful intended purpose(s).
- Security Measures Wagerweb shall protect personal information relating to clients, affiliates and employees by way of practical security measures; appropriate to the sensitivity of the information provided.
- Openness Wagerweb shall make readily available to clients,affiliates and employees its? specific policies, practices and procedures relating to the management of personal information.
- Individual Access Wagerweb shall, upon request, inform a client,affiliate or employee of the existence, use, and disclosure of his/her personal information, and shall afford access to that information. It shall also enable a client, affiliate or employee to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended, as appropriate.
- Compliance Wagerweb shall enable a client, affiliate or employee to challenge its? corporate compliance with the above principles by contacting the Wagerweb designated employee, who is accountable for the corporation?s compliance.1. The articles in this document use prescriptive language (i.e., the words, shall, should, may, can, will or must), indicating that this document is an adopted standard of Wagerweb. The use of the words, shall and must, mean, mandatory action required; the word, should, only indicates a recommendation; the word, may, refers to likely to act to some undefined degree; the word, will, refers to the willingness or desire to act; and the word, can, refers to capability to act.